• Resolved dexterroona

(@dexterroona)

So my site has quite an extensive menu. I have parent categories and sub-categories under the parents.
    I have discovered that when you place content under the subcategory it also appears in the parent category. I was under the impression that it should only show in the sub-category. The fix I have been given is to make the subcategories parent categories but this is a lot of work as I have to then edit every article and change the category.

So my questions are:
    Is content that shows in the parent category and also in the sub-category duplicate content because the parent and sub are showing pretty much the same content.
    And the second question is if you have the category index setting to YES on Yoast SEO are the sub-categories also indexed or does Yoast apply the noindex tag on sub-categories.

Thanks in advance
    Regards Dexter

The page I need help with: [log in to see the link]

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Plugin Support Maybellyne

(@maybellyne)

Hello Dexter,

Thank you for reaching out regarding your post categories.

When you noindex a parent category, it removes the category from the /category-sitemap/ but does not impact the child categories. You will need to set the child categories to noindex separately.

Your other question about duplicate content in parent and child categories is a bit outside the scope of our support. Giving SEO advice, in most cases, requires a deep analysis of your site to provide accurate advice for your specific setup, even for what may seem to be a simple question. We love to help you with all questions related to our products, but in this specific case, it’s SEO advice you are looking for.

At Yoast, we want to help people improve their sites and to make SEO attainable for everyone. So we offer Yoast Academy courses on all aspects of SEO, several great plugins, and a comprehensive SEO blog.

Thread Starter dexterroona

(@dexterroona)

When your talking about child categories your talking about the sub categories under the parent categories?

Plugin Support Maybellyne

(@maybellyne)

Hello Dexter,

Yes, that is what I mean. Child categories or sub-categories are under parent categories.

Thread Starter dexterroona

(@dexterroona)

So when I set categories to noindex via Yoast and make a sub-category that category is no indexed but the sub-category gets indexed. That is not explained by Yoast unless I have missed it somewhere. Yoast just gives the option to index categories or no index categories. Its not explained that of you noindex categories we will still index sub-categories. I wonder how many users are believing they are noindexing but unbeknown are indexing sub-categories. That should be changed on an update.

Also my second question is not asking for SEO help it is asking for a yes or no answer.

Is content that shows in the parent category and also in the sub-category duplicate content?

Im not asking what i do about it if it is Im asking if its duplicate content or not

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by dexterroona.
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘2 Questions about Yoast SEO’ is closed to new replies.