• First, I want to say that I love the idea of this plugin and like how it works so far. The rest of this post are my findings and observations.

I tested this out on a multisite with BuddyPress installed. It worked although as an entirely separate thing. (I’d love to see some integration with BP, that would really open things up for me). I was able to subscribe to BuddyPress groups which was good. However, I had to copy and paste the group URL into the add friend UI which was less good.

I did not find an obvious way to friend request another user on the same blog. I tried with a copy and paste profile url but got back a not supported message (as if the plugin were not installed for that user).

My browser (Brave) reacts to the friend page as if it had sent a 404 not found. By which I mean the page loads fine but Braves offers to try and find a cached copy due to a 404 header. (This one might actually be a bug)

On multisite (even when using different domains and subdomains) every sub-site needs the main site with the plugin installed. This is because the friend link always goes to the root blog. That’s less than ideal for me.

As a personal wishlist item: Given all the blogs I manage are multi-user and most are multi-site I’d really like to enable users to friend each other on-site with a click or two.

Thanks for the hard work; I hope this feedback is helpful.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Plugin Author Alex Kirk

(@akirk)

Thank you for your feedback! This is helpful indeed.

I did quite a bit work to make the Friends plugin functional on multisite and it should work both inside a multisite and between multisites, so I wonder what might be going wrong for you. I have to admit that primary and original focus is on creating friendships between completely unrelated sites across the internet.

Regarding BuddyPress functionality, I am afraid I don’t have a lot of experience. Could you help me with some screenshots at which points it would make sense to integrate the Friends plugin?

I did not find an obvious way to friend request another user on the same blog.

This is not supported. I tried to cover this in the FAQ entry “Why is the friendship established between WordPress sites and not WordPress users?” Specifically, a “friend user” is associated with a remote site. This could be one inside a multisite network or one elsewhere.

The 404 page for the /friends/ page is possibly a known bug, could you check that Github issue and maybe draw the connection to your experience?

On multisite (even when using different domains and subdomains) every sub-site needs the main site with the plugin installed. This is because the friend link always goes to the root blog. That’s less than ideal for me.

Could you maybe post one or more screenshots to illustrate this? This would be a bug since by design the home_url() of a site is supposed to be used, it should not even be aware of the root site. Are you working with a subdir multisite?

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • The topic ‘404, multisite limits, and a few other observations’ is closed to new replies.