• cln.lgr

(@clnlgrgmailcom)

For a while now I’ve been trying to resolve inconsistant 504 errors. I’ve tried many things with too many dead ends. I host my WP multisite in Azure on my own. (so please no ‘contact your sys admin’… that’s me)

The errors seem to happen either when I login using miniOrange and SSO. As I satated, it’s incosistant as I was working in multiple windows already logged in and getting 504’s.

I’ve looked at the php_error.log file without any clear leads.

I’ve tried to update to the latest WP version with new symptoms. ATM, I’m waiting for our year end to do major changes.

My site is slow, I had 1 major issue that was resolved but may be the root.

I updated all the plugins without issues, doing multiple tests between each installs. Finaly I would update WP and I would start getting issues like the 504 and unable to upload images. The only solution to date was to downgrade to an earlier version.

The eariler issues were resolved when I noticed that the local caching was to blame. I would gradually update things and then WP but the local cachins would reset the site and revert to a previous date and time.

I found an comfortable and more stable place and left it there… it’s been months and I still don’t know the root cause of the 504.

I have 2 instaces working and if the CPU usage goes bananas, up to 5 instances can spin up. These instances only happened once as expected when a spike of traffic came on. A health check in Azure will kill an instance if it hangs too long… I typically get a 504 then a 502 and everything is back online.

I have not heard from our public that the site is down. (nor would I expect them) But other admins have experienced downtime/5xx.

How can I update WP without breaking it?
    What other log files am I missing? (please be a little specific)

WP 5.5.5, ColibriWP, WPMUdev suite of plugins, and a handful more. Azure P1V2

The page I need help with: [log in to see the link]

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Moderator t-p

(@t-p)

504 error is likely a server related issue.

Therefore, ask your host why the 504 is occurring.

I’ve tried many things with too many dead ends.

Have you tried:

manually resetting your plugins (no Dashboard access required). If that resolves the issue, reactivate each one individually until you find the cause.
    – If that does not resolve the issue, access your server via SFTP or FTP, or a file manager in your hosting account’s control panel, navigate to /wp-content/themes/ and rename the directory of your currently active theme. This will force the default theme to activate and hopefully rule-out a theme-specific issue (theme functions can interfere like plugins).

Thread Starter cln.lgr

(@clnlgrgmailcom)

@t-p , Thank you for the reply, always appreciated.

I AM the Host and all things, so far, lead me to dead ends. So I’m coming here to plead for help. I’ve had 3 other parties look at my Azure setup, 2 of which were with Microsoft and 1 third party, and they do not see anything wrong with the Azure Web Service and everything in between. They do not support WordPress so they didn’t have many suggestions other than the same findings we had from da Google.

Since the site is in production, I have not disabled most of the tools since they hold everything together. When schools out, I will be able to fully test things.
    BUT until then, I’m looking for taddle tales in logs.

What are diagnostics tools that I can see more detailed errors?

Thread Starter cln.lgr

(@clnlgrgmailcom)

If it helps anyone, my multisite was not letting me upload images. The issue is a WordPress known bug that will be fixed with version 5.9.
    The bug is one line of code that can easily be changed
    https://core.trac.www.ads-software.com/ticket/52241

(i’m still getting 504)

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘504 with no leads’ is closed to new replies.